Re: ISSUE-30: mousewheel event

Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>> I want to catch events from input devices to override the default
>>> behaviour.  Whatever the default behaviour is is irrelevant.
>>    So if I have my mouse set up to switch applications when I move the
>> mouse wheel, the BROWSER should prevent me from doing so and instead
>> hand that input off to a Javascript function?!? Get real!
>
> Hopefully if you configure your mousewheel to do that then the window
> manager won't even send a mousewheel event to the applications and so
> the UA wouldn't even fire the event.

   Does a mouse wheel generate a "mousewheel" event at the operating
system level, or does it generate some type of scroll-related event? Are
we dictating that user agents pass input events to scripted event
functions without abstraction of that input? There are two problems
here. First, we can't assume that a mouse wheel triggered a specific
event type. Second, we can't assume that the event type triggered is
mouse wheel related. For instance, my OS may take key presses for
certain keys and change them into "pointer scroll" events. Do we ignore
these events because they aren't technically "mouse wheel" events? It
doesn't matter what we call the DOM event we're talking about here, but
it does matter how we define the DOM event itself.