ISSUE-75 proposal

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 23:25:33 -0400
To: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

This is the HTTP method case issue, and I propose the following text
to resolve it.  In place of the description of "method of type
DOMString" in section 2 of XMLHttpRequest, I suggest;

==
An HTTP method name.  If it is one of "get", "put", "post", "delete",
or "head" (in lower or mixed case), then implementations MUST convert
it to upper case when using it to construct the HTTP message.
Otherwise, it SHOULD be used in the HTTP message as-is.
==

I believe this accomodates the needs of those who fear unnecessary
HTTP profiling (by fixing the number of methods which are uppercased -
props to mnot), those concerned about existing agents which uppercase
everything (hence "SHOULD"), and those concerned about compatibility
with existing content (by calling out the lowercase methods which
these scripts likely use).

Cheers,

Mark.