Re: Extension HTTP methods

Bjoern Hoehrmann schrieb:
> * Julian Reschke wrote:
>> I don't understand this statement, because I'm not sure why XHR would
>> care at all what the verb is. HTTP fully defines how message
>> transmission works independently of the verb (with the single notable
>> exception being the responses to HEAD).
>
> That depends on how much magic you add, like automatically following
> redirects or automatically responding to authentication challenges.

I see.

Automatically following redirects requires the XHR implementation to
know that the method is safe (that can be done only using a white list).
BTW: following redirects can be tricky if the method has a request body,
it requires that the XHR implementation keeps a copy of it for
re-transmission (MSXML gets this wrong).

I'm not sure about authentication challenges? Where's the dependency on
the actual method?

Best regards, Julian