DOM3 Core clarification: isElementContentWhitespace?

From: Alex Vincent <ajvincent@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 14:12:22 -0700
To: public-webapi@w3.org

I took a look at DOM 3 Core's isElementContentWhitespace definition,
and I don't fully understand how it's supposed to work.  I thought at
first glance it meant "Does this text node
contain only whitespace?", but a fellow developer tells me it isn't that simple.

Could I get some clarification on what it is supposed to mean?
Preferably with code or pseudocode examples.

-- Alexander J. Vincent, June 30, 2001