From: public-webapi-request@w3.org [mailto:public-webapi-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Anthony Ettinger
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 12:11 PM
To: Vladimir Kelman
Cc: public-webapi@w3.org
Subject: Re: Ajax Back/Forward History problem - saving document state
by document.save()

On 1/9/06, Vladimir Kelman <vlad@vkelman.com> wrote:

"providing to a page that can be in many states, enough information that
it can recreate a previous state"

Mark,
yes it's a good goal, it's definitely better than trying to remember a
state itself. But my point was basically that: you have to stop on some
level. You cannot remember and make reproducible each state after tiny
change. It's better to allow an opposite thing: to warn user how "hit a
Back or Forward" button that system is going to leave current
application completely and will not be able to re-enter a current
"micro-state". To warn a user and give him ability to Cancel - just like
  Internet Expolrer's onbeforeunload() event works.

My 2 cents. If you can undo past a save in some apps, you should be able
to do it on the web too.