RE: Ajax Back/Forward History problem - saving document state by document.save()

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:14:39 -0000
To: <public-webapi@w3.org>

Vladimir,

> But it doesn't necessary mean that undo should be performed
> using browser's "Back" button.

That's true, but I'm hoping that it can be an event that can be registered
for, and than either allowed through, or acted on and cancelled.

> I prefer "Back" button to be
> conditionally disabled...

You could do that by cancelling the proposed 'back' event.

> ...and to have "Undo" button inside web
> application window itself (as a part of HTML document).

But there are some situations where 'back' feels like the right metaphor to
the user, even if it has the effect of 'undo'. I agree with whoever it was
that gave the example of Gmail--how many times have you opened an email, and
then pressed 'back' to return to the inbox, only to find yourself navigating
away.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Birbeck