Re: Safe copy and paste with scripts

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:17:15 -0800
Cc: paul@activemath.org, Web APIs WG <public-webapi@w3.org>
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>

On Feb 28, 2006, at 1:10 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Paul Libbrecht wrote:
>> But we are talking about web-application, right ?
>
> What's the difference between a web-application and a web-page? As
> in, what's the technical difference.
>
>> At least presuming the provider of such an application is sane and
>> somewhat trusted of value, it would replace the copy capability
>> only when it makes sense and with something that makes sense.
>
> I long ago stopped relying on authors to do the right thing. Give
> them the right tools and they'll shoot both their users and
> themselves in the foot.

I thought about this some more. I think the select event, implmented
by IE, Mozilla and Safari already would let content authors
completely prevent copying text out of the page by preventing
selection. But I don't know of any examples of it being used this way.

So (a) the cat is out of the bag and (b) in practice content authors
don't seem that keen on entirely preventing users from copying text.

Regards,
Maciej