Re: Safe copy and paste with scripts

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:34:00 -0800
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Web APIs WG <public-webapi@w3.org>

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> I would like copy/paste integration to be on the agenda. I believe these
> operations can be offered securely (and implemented in various
> nonstandard ways by IE, Firefox and in some cases Safari):
>
> 1) copy
> 2) cut (in an editable context)
> 3) event on copy that lets you prevent the default action and substitute
> other content
> 4) event on paste that lets you prevent the default action and
> substitite other content

An issue with 1-3 is that a site could stop the user from copying
content off the site. We already see a similar thing happening where
sites cancel the rightclick event to prevent users from doing "view source".

A site could use the copy-event in 3 to always replace the copied
contents with an empty string (or a string containing some copyright
statement). Or the site could on every key-press and mouse-click
cut/copy an empty string to the clipboard.

/ Jonas