[DOM3 Events]: Use cases for new features?

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:57:15 -0800
To: public-webapi@w3.org

Hi everyone,

The Web API working group is currently working on DOM Level 3 Events,
trying to get it into shape to be a REC-track specification. Even
though I am on the WG I have decided to make my comments in public,
based on the published Note, so that anyone who wants to can
participate in the discussion.

Here are some features in DOM Level 3 Events that I think are poorly

- Event.stopImmediatePropagation (and related CustomEvent
- EventTarget.willTriggerNS
- EventTarget.hasEventListenerNS
- evtGroup parameter to addEventListenerNS

What problems do these solve that the Level 2 event dispatch model
does not cover? Many event dispatch models work just fine without
these features, and I do not know of great author demand for them.
Therefore I propose removing these, unless there is some strong
justification for their presence.