[DOM3 Events]: Use cases for new features?

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:57:15 -0800
To: public-webapi@w3.org

Hi everyone,

The Web API working group is currently working on DOM Level 3 Events,
trying to get it into shape to be a REC-track specification. Even
though I am on the WG I have decided to make my comments in public,
based on the published Note, so that anyone who wants to can
participate in the discussion.

http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Events/events.html

Here are some features in DOM Level 3 Events that I think are poorly
justified:

- Event.stopImmediatePropagation (and related CustomEvent
isImmediatePropagationStopped)
- EventTarget.willTriggerNS
- EventTarget.hasEventListenerNS
- evtGroup parameter to addEventListenerNS

What problems do these solve that the Level 2 event dispatch model
does not cover? Many event dispatch models work just fine without
these features, and I do not know of great author demand for them.
Therefore I propose removing these, unless there is some strong
justification for their presence.

Regards,
Maciej