Re: Namespaces in Xpath expressions

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 21:23:55 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>, public-webapi@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:

> It may be worth considering that if the editor of the specification can't
> get the XPath expressions in the examples correct, it is very likely that
> authors of content using the specification will have even more troubles.
>
> Maybe using XPath for this purpose is not the optimal choice?

This is a classic FAQ in XPath and XSLT. That's why it jumped out at me.
Arguably it's a design flaw in XPath.

That said, what else would you suggest? If something with the power of
XPath is needed here (I don't know if it is--still haven't finished
digesting the draft) then I wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel. If
something much simpler (like a pure element name) could be used then
that might be OK; but I'm not sure anything simpler would work.