Re: capturing load events

On 12/28/06, Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:33:43 +0100, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
> wrote:
> > It also means that a
> >
> >   window.addEventListener('load', func, true);
> >
> > listener would never be triggered. Presumably that should be changed
> > to say that it would be triggered only if the event's target is the
> > Document. Do you see any problem with that?
>
> No, I agree it should change.

Been following these discussions and the reports.

So far, this is what I get out of everything:

1. window.addEventListener("load", func, false) should fire only one
load event with the target being the document.

2. window.addEventListener("load", func, true) should do the exact
same thing as #1.

3. Opera will have to change addEventListener() when used on a window
object to make #2 work the same as #1. (but perhaps not for userJS
etc.)

4. Opera changing #2 to work like #1 will break some pages that are
properly using 'true'. Hopefully, the list is small and this fixes
more pages than it breaks.

5. 'true' will just be a dummy value when used on a window object (and
in essence, just mapped to 'false') to make some current pages work
that should really be using 'false'.

6. Instead of window.addEventListener("load", func, true),
document.addEventListener("load", func, true) will need to be used if
you really want capturing for the document.

Are those the rules we're shooting for?

--
burnout426