Re: Selectors API naming

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 16:45:20 +0100, Martijn <martijn.martijn@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Not if the old methods effectively become obsolete. True enough, they
>> return a live NodeList and so might be useful for some use cases but I
>> don't think that goes for the majority if you see the usage of such
>> methods on the web.
>
> So the plan of matchAll is to make getElementById and
> getElementsByTagName effectively obsolete? And that's why a different
> sort of name is justified?

I would think so. Also for the reasons pointed out by Maciej and Rob of
course.

I don't think get() is vague at all in the context of the document object
by the way. The document object is mainly used for accessing the DOM and
besides that provides several constructor methods for manipulating it.
(The constructor methods are probably used way less than innerHTML etc.)
It doesn't seem weird at all to me to provide such a short method name
there.