Re: Selectors API naming

From: Nicolas Mendoza <mendoza@pvv.ntnu.no>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 06:04:49 +0100
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: public-webapi@w3.org

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 02:48:45 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:

> Based on this, I think that shorter names like "match" or "matchAll" are
> justified, if not necessarily those exact names.

How about (document+"").match(/Document/) vs. (document).match() -- sure,
a bit exaggerated but it sure seems confusing to me ;/

Oh and just because one has failed earlier doesn't mean that one has to do
it again.

I'd go for surprising the user the least.

If one really wanted to always use short and possible conflicting
keywords, one should at least do it properly, and deprecate the old long
and oh so hard to use getElementBy#? ones. If it really is a huge problem
that libraries make aliases that is.