Re: NSResolver Re: Selectors API naming

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 23:06:44 +0100
To: "Chris Wilson" <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, "Charles McCathieNevile" <chaals@opera.com>, "Dave Massy" <dave.massy@microsoft.com>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>
Cc: "Tina Duff" <tinad@microsoft.com>

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 22:57:55 +0100, Chris Wilson
<Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Whose job is it in the W3C?  (This isn't "how you transform HTML into a
> DOM" - it's "what doctype do you presume when it's not there?")

DOCTYPEs? DOCTYPEs have two use cases on the web as far as I know:

   1. In HTML they provide a way for the author to pick between
      "quirks mode", "almost standards mode" (in some browsers)
      and "standards mode". What these modes imply varies among
      implementations at the moment. In general they affect
      rendering. In some implementations they affect parsing
      too.

   2. In XML some "known DOCTYPEs" tell the user agent to
      support a set of "named entities".

(Note that I said "the web" above.)

If something is HTML or not depends on the media type, mostly. text/html
-> HTML (except when you're fetching something like a feed). I think Ian
Hickson is doing some research on this.