Re: NSResolver Re: Selectors API naming

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:36:03 +0100
To: "Chris Wilson" <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, "Charles McCathieNevile" <chaals@opera.com>, "Dave Massy" <dave.massy@microsoft.com>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>
Cc: "Tina Duff" <tinad@microsoft.com>

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:47:58 +0100, Chris Wilson
<Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Nope, that's what I meant.  The spec should give more examples,
> particularly in the simplistic cases.  The one case I wanted a
> definition for was if there is no doctype given on an HTML document, and
> there is a specific namespace given for XHTML (or whatever), does it
> match?  (e.g. is there a presumed doctype default for HTML in browsers,
> and if so what is it.  I would prefer not, BTW.)

How HTML documents end up in the DOM is an issue of the HTML WG / WHATWG.
The HTML5 proposal puts HTML elemenets in the http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
namespace during parsing. I don't think that's implemented in any user
agent yet. What is implemented is that HTML elements are assumed to be in
that namespace for the purposes of CSS. Anyway, not our issue in my
opinion. You're free however to provide more examples for inclusion in the
specification.