Re: Selectors API naming

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Robin Berjon wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2006, at 23:02, Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > This thread is going nowhere. I propose that we let the document's
> > editor take into account all the input and then have the editor make a
> > decision that addresses everyone's concerns as much as possible.
> > There's no point us arguing over names, we'd only end up with a spec
> > full of compromises and smelling of design-by-committee.
>
> Beats reeking of design by theology.

I have confidence in Anne; I'm sure he would not design by theology, but
would indeed take into account everyone opinions and create a consistent
specification that is a good compromise without sacrificing spec quality.

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Doug Schepers wrote:

> 1) Shorter names are preferred;
> 2) More descriptive names are preferred;
> 3) Names matching existing conventions are preferred.
>
> I don't care what the final name is, but it should match the latter 2
> principals.

I don't really care either, so long as it matches the first one! But I'm
happy to accept whatever the editor comes up with, even if it isn't
something I like. Given that the arguments that have been put forward are
sometimes mutually exclusive, there is no way to make everybody happy. My
proposal is that we put the decision in the hand of the editor and accept
whatever he comes up with.