Re: [XHR] What mime types should trigger XML parsing?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 05:16:54 +0000 (UTC)
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Should implementations be allowed or required to use intrinsic knowledge
> from other sources than media type registration? For example, suppose my
> user agent recognizes "image/svg-xml" or "text/xsl". Should it then
> treat these as XML, even though they are unregistered, and will likely
> never be registered?

In practice we'll all be forced to make the browsers recognise the same
list of types. So we might as well just give the explicit list in the spec
and be done with it, instead of spending the next three years reverse-
engineering each others' accept list and then having me spec it in a
WHATWG document to make the spec match reality...