Re: [comment] XMLHttpRequest Object - version of reference technologies

Le 06-04-22 à 17:09, Anne van Kesteren a écrit :
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:44:51 +0200, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> wrote:
>> Please be sure to check and/or mention the version of the
>> technology when you
>> 	- give an example.
>> 	- give a normative reference.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> In XMLHttpRequest document itself, the WG mentionned that there
>> might be changes, it's true for other technologies, it's always
>> better to give the version you are referring too.
>
> It's not entirely clear to me what you mean with this comment.
> Could you be more specific?

As a general rule for the document, when you give a reference to a
specification, a language, another technology gives the exact version
you are referring to.

In this particular case, Ecmascript? Which version?

The text in the specification

[[[
In ECMAScript, an instance of XMLHttpRequest  can be created using
the XMLHttpRequest()  constructor:
]]]
-- The XMLHttpRequest Object
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-XMLHttpRequest-20060405/#xmlhttprequest
Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:02:33 GMT

… could become

****
In ECMAScript 262 [ECMA-262], an instance of XMLHttpRequest  can be
created using
the XMLHttpRequest()  constructor:
****

Specifically if there's a dependence on the version of the language.
For example, talking about HTTP in general, or a specific feature of
HTTP. The semantics of a specific feature might have changed since
the first version, so it's good to know to which one you are
referring to and you don't know if the semantics of the future
versions will change.

If you didn't know as well, there's an handy tool to generate your
reference section.
http://www.w3.org/2002/01/tr-automation/tr-biblio-ui

For example
http://www.w3.org/2000/06/webdata/xslt?xslfile=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org
%2F2002%2F01%2Ftr-automation%2Ftr-biblio.xsl&xmlfile=http%3A%2F%
2Fwww.w3.org%2F2002%2F01%2Ftr-automation%2Ftr-logs.rdf&uris=http%3A%2F
%2Fwww.w3.org%2FTR%2FDOM-Level-3-Core%2F%0D%0A

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***