Re: XMLHttpRequest.responseXML and invalid XML documents

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 01:18:01 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

>>> Is it the plan to follow what the specification says or does it need
>>> to be changed for the above reason for example?
>>
>> I don't know.
>
> Ok.

For what it's worth I will strongly argue that Firefox should return
null (assuming the spec says so). I can't say it bothers me that
.responseXML.getElementById fails, it isn't hard for the author to
address. If authors don't address it because they expect to always get a
document, then the above will throw which seems like desired behaviour.

/ Jonas