Re: XMLHttpRequest progress events

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> I understand that as an implementor you don't want to sit around waiting
> for standards bodies to include features in a spec before implementing
> them. However, since there is an active, open and healthy standards
> process going on here, you may want to try participating in it more
> actively before taking that approach.

Well, that's what I was trying to do with my initial mail.  ;)

Here goes:

Listeners registered for the "progress" event on the XMLHttpRequest object may
receive events implementing the LSProgressEvent interface as data is returned
from the server.  This event will have a null |input| property.  The |totalSize|
property will be 0xFFFFFFFF if the total size is not known.

Listeners registered for the "uploadprogress" event on the XMLHttpRequest object
may receive events implementing the LSProgressEvent interface as the request is
sent to the server.  This event will have a null |input| property.  The
|totalSize| property will be 0xFFFFFFFF if the total size is not known.

Implementations are not required to fire these events, but are strongly urged to
so that XMLHttpRequest consumers can implement progress indicators as desired.
If progress events are fired, there is no specific requirement for how often
they should be fired.

That pretty much sums up the Gecko implementation as I understand it (modulo
some 32-bit/64-bit messiness; I'm not sure whether the DOM actually specifies
what numeric type "unsigned long" is, but maybe I'm missing it).

-Boris