Re: Any update on telcon times?

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 06:59:16 -0700
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Web APIs WG <public-webapi@w3.org>

> I personally think ElementTraversal should be replaced by a
> .selectSingleNode() method that supports a small XPath subset,

There is a gigantic difference in performance between selectSingleNode
and firstElementChild. Just parsing alone will take longer time then
just iterating the children and finding the first element.

>   .previousElementSibling -> .selectSingleNode('previous-sibling::*')

This will probably not work, unless we create a very complex definition
of how selectSingleNode works. Usually the result of an XPath evaluation
is sorted in document order, so this would actually select
.parentNode.firstElementChild.

If we want to make that return the previousElementSibling we need to
define exactly how sorting works in all cases, something i'm very
reluctant to do, and something that might be hard for implementations
builing on a generic XPath engine.

/ Jonas