Re: XMLHttpRequest progress events

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:59:35 +0200
To: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Cc: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

* Robin Berjon wrote:
>More seriously, I think you meant LSProgressEvent no? It has various
>issues, some of which being that it is defined in a way that assumes
>XML by discussing external entities, and is also defined in terms of
>parsing and not data acquisition. None of this makes much sense for
>arbitrary content. It would also have to be subsetted to not bring in
>LSInput, by which point we would be left with two fields, still tied
>to XML, and one of which, just to make things better, is poorly named.

LSProgressEvent is an interface, the text I pointed to defines the
corresponding event, called "progress":

  This specification does not attempt to define exactly when
  progress events should be dispatched. That is intentionally
  left as implementation-dependent. Here is one example of how
  an application might dispatch progress events: Once the parser
  starts receiving data, a progress event is dispatched to indicate
  that the parsing starts. From there on, a progress event is
  dispatched for every 4096 bytes of data that is received and
  processed. This is only one example, though, and implementations
  can choose to dispatch progress events at any time while parsing,
  or not dispatch them at all.