Re: XMLHttpRequest progress events

On Apr 23, 2006, at 20:51, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> We would like to make two changes to the progress event setup:
>
> 1)  Allow adding progress event listeners via addEventListener, not
> just via
>     setting the onprogress property.  The event name would be
> "progress".
> 2)  Allow adding upload progress event listeners via
> addEventListener.  The
>     event name would be "uploadprogress".

Have you considered being compatible (if only by subset) with SVG
Tiny 1.2 progress events?

   http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/interact.html#EventsLoadProgress
   http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/svgudom.html#events::ProgressEvent

If you don't have any specific reasons for picking those event names,
it would likely be best to have just the one name.

> The timeline for this would be to make the change in development
> builds in the next several weeks and to ship it hopefully early
> next year.
>
> Does this seem acceptable?  If not, are there counter-proposals?

I'm not sure what (and who) exactly you're asking here :) If you're
just asking the community if it's a good idea, then sure, but please
take the above into account. If you're asking the WG, we can't really
sanction implementation decisions. I think your proposal is sensical,
but it would likely be pushed over to XHR2 as v1 is more about
getting something basic and cleaned up on which to build this sort of
addition.

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist