Re: [comment] XMLHttpRequest Object - Address Extensibility

On Apr 21, 2006, at 1:57 PM, Jim Ley wrote:

> Well it pretty much says "do what you want!"
>
> http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/
> Ecma-262.pdf
> section 2
> A conforming implementation of ECMAScript is permitted to provide
> additional types, values, objects,
>
> properties, and functions beyond those described in this
> specification. In particular, a conforming
>
> implementation of ECMAScript is permitted to provide properties not
> described in this specification, and
>
> values for those properties, for objects that are described in this
> specification.
>
> A conforming implementation of ECMAScript is permitted to support
> program and regular expression syntax
>
> not described in this specification. In particular, a conforming
> implementation of ECMAScript is permitted to
>
> support program syntax that makes use of the "future reserved
> words" listed in 7.5.3 of this specification.

I think this is a reasonable policy (dropping the stuff that doesn't
apply to us about keywords and regular expression syntax), but I'd
like us to also add:

* Implementations SHOULD add new methods rather than changing return
types, parameter types, number of required or optional parameters or
behavior of existing methods (except where explicitly stated otherwise).

* Implementations SHOULD add new attributes rather than changing the
type, behavior or readonly status of existing attributes (except
where explicitly stated otherwise).

This would mean that any extensions could be checked for from
ECMAScript.

I'd like to apply the same kind of policy to Window as well.