Re: [comment] XMLHttpRequest Object - Address Extensibility

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 13:45:27 -0700
Cc: Brad Fults <bfults@gmail.com>, "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>

On Apr 23, 2006, at 12:34 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Brad Fults wrote:
>> That said, I see this not as a case in need of additional
>> optimization, but a case requiring the removal of
>> specification-mandated bloat that is by no means temporary.
>
> The case you've presented makes a number of assumptions,

Forgetting about Brad's assumptions:

None of the existing vendor extensions to XMLHttpRequest follow the
vendor prefix naming convention. So far as I know, every major
implementation has at least one extension relative to the current
proposed spec. Therefore, requiring a vendor prefix would put all
existing implementations out of compliance. And there would be no
foreseeable path to compliance since it is unlikely vendors would
rename existing extensions, especially ones shared between multiple
vendors. This seems like a show stopper for applying the vendor
prefix convention to everything.

Regards,
Maciej