Re: [XHR] What mime types should trigger XML parsing?

* Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>Should this be taken to mean that for any other Content-Type,
>implementations MUST NOT attempt to parse as XML? If so, please say
>that. Optionally allowing XML parsing for types not specifically
>mentioned would be bad for interoperability.

It should say that implementations use intrisinc knowledge derived from
the media type registration to determine whether or not the type used to
label the entity body is an XML media type, persumably one that is meant
to be used for complete document entities rather than other entities as
those cannot yield in a Document. We might optionally want to require
that the corresponding types in RFC 3023 and any type that follows the
+xml convention is recognized as XML document in accord with RFC 3023.

It would not make much sense for a user agent to specifically not re-
cognize specific media types as representing XML documents for the pur-
poses of XHR processing when the user agent does that everywhere else.

>Of these, I only know for sure that text/xsl is in common use for
>sending XML content, even though it is unofficial and technically
>illegal.

Not following the +xml convention is not technically illegal.