Re: [XHR] What mime types should trigger XML parsing?

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 02:34:08 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:
> "Otherwise, if the Content-Type header contains a media type (ignoring
> any parameters) that is either text/xml, application/xml, or ends in
> +xml, it must be an object that implements the Document interface
> representing the parsed document. If the document was not an XML
> document, or if the document could not be parsed (due to an XML
> well-formedness error or unsupported character encoding, for instance),
> it must be null."
>
> Should this be taken to mean that for any other Content-Type,
> implementations MUST NOT attempt to parse as XML? If so, please say
> that. Optionally allowing XML parsing for types not specifically
> mentioned would be bad for interoperability.

So instead of "If the document was not an XML document" having "If
Content-Type did not contain such a media type"?

> Also, consider the following media types that represent XML data of some
> form, but are not text/xml, application/xml, or a type that ends in
> +xml. Some of these are unofficial or obsolete:
>
> text/xsl

364,000: http://www.google.com/search?q=text%2Fxsl

application/xslt+xml

9,270: http://www.google.com/search?q=application%2Fxslt%2Bxml

application/xsl-xml (note the dash...)

137: http://www.google.com/search?q=application%2Fxsl-xml

> text/mathml

569: http://www.google.com/search?q=text%2Fmathml

application/mathml+xml

815: http://www.google.com/search?q=application%2Fmathml%2Bxml

> text/xml-external-parsed-entity
> application/xml-external-parsed-entity

Are these supported?

> application/smil

That one is obsoleted by application/smil+xml... But yeah...

> Of these, I only know for sure that text/xsl is in common use for
> sending XML content, even though it is unofficial and technically
> illegal.

Any proposals? Personally I don't really care about any of them...