Re: Issue: request bodies

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:45:06 -0400
To: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On 4/21/06, Mark Nottingham <mnot@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> RFC2616, section 4.3;
>
> "A message-body MUST NOT be included in a request if the
> specification of the request method (section 5.1.1) does not allow
> sending an entity-body in requests. "

Right.

> GET, HEAD and DELETE do not allow for an entity-body in requests.

You'd think so, wouldn't you?  But that's not the case; they all permit them.

> Granted, it's not incredibly well-specified, but are you seriously
> suggesting that bodies should be allowed on GETs?

Why not?  HTTP messages are self-descriptive with respect to their
length and presence or absence of a body, independent of the request
method (except for HEAD responses).

We wouldn't want to profile HTTP, would we? 8-)

Mark.
--
Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.       http://www.markbaker.ca