Re: [comment] XMLHttpRequest Object - Address Extensibility

* Brad Fults wrote:
>> This is very silly, the VendorMember scheme is entirely stupid, it's
>> completely useless for authors, we can't do anything with it, and is much
>> worse than simple invented terms that eventually get standardised.
>
>Completely agreed. This is how we get ridiculous code like:
>
>if (obj.MozFoo)
>  obj.MozFoo = 0.7;
>else if (obj.WebkitFoo)
>  obj.WebkitFoo = 0.7;
>else if (window.opera) // because Opera creates stubs for obj.*Foo
>just to drive us insane
>  obj.OperaFoo = 0.7
>else
>{
>  try { obj.Foo = 70; } // ugh IE
>  catch (e) { alert("No idea what's going on!"); }
>}

Of course, allowing vendors to use member names as they please does not
prevent this is in way, and not doing the above is what us gives names
like .weWouldHaveLikedFooButEveryBrowserDoesTheirOwnSillyThingWithFoo().
Poorly written code fragments such as the one above don't bring this
discussion forward much.

>Agreed. Also, I think the "what if someone uses a good property name
>for a lame implementation" isn't as much of a concern because we're
>talking about major browser vendors, not any random paster.

Oh my...