Re: [comment] XMLHttpRequest Object - Address Extensibility

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:57:59 +0100
To: "Web APIs WG \(public\)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

"Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
> I didn't really like it either, I was hoping for comments :-) It seems
> extensibility in the DOM in general is a bit unaddressed.

Yep, :-(

>> Extension requirements similar to ECMAScript would be a much more
>> logical approach.
>
> Pointer?

Well it pretty much says "do what you want!"

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/Ecma-262.pdf
section 2
A conforming implementation of ECMAScript is permitted to provide additional
types, values, objects,

properties, and functions beyond those described in this specification. In
particular, a conforming

implementation of ECMAScript is permitted to provide properties not
described in this specification, and

values for those properties, for objects that are described in this
specification.

A conforming implementation of ECMAScript is permitted to support program
and regular expression syntax

not described in this specification. In particular, a conforming
implementation of ECMAScript is permitted to

support program syntax that makes use of the "future reserved words" listed
in 7.5.3 of this specification.