Re: No arguments to XMLHttpRequest.send (ACTION-58)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:33:05 +0200
To: "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 20:41:38 +0100, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> I think there is need for some perspective here. Mozilla isn't broken in
> that .send doesn't work at all or that we in some cases have very broken
> behaviour. We simply follow DOM convention and have all the parameters
> to the function required even if they in some cases are not needed.

I agree with Karl, Mark, others and myself that the specification should
be relevant in the future as well. It's now stated that implementations
MUST support send() to be invoked without arguments. Specifically, the new
text is:

   give the same result as if it was invoked with <code>null</code> as
   argument.</p>

> Even if I fix this today, there will be around 6 months before a release
> with the fix is out, and another 6 months to a year before everyone has
> upgraded. So authors will have to provide an argument for a significant
> time if they want to work in the major browsers.

I don't think the specification will have reached Recommendation status by
that time though, given the many differences between implementations that
have to be fixed first during the CR phase... So I don't see that as a
show-stopper.