Re: XMLHttpRequest object suggestion

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:33:22 +0200
To: "Mark Kawakami" <mark.kawakami@gmail.com>
Cc: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:48:08 +0200, Mark Kawakami
<mark.kawakami@gmail.com> wrote:
> As I'm sure you're well aware, one of the challenges facing developers
> of websites that utilize the XMLHttpRequest object (or the current IE
> equivalent) is the bookmark/back button issue. In short, because the
> state of the page changes independent of the URI, bookmarking and
> using the back button can potentially have unexpected or undesirable
> results.

There was a long thread on this back in November (2005):

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2005Nov/thread.html#3

I think that if something could be done through scripting it would be
solved using an extension on the History object, not the XMLHttpRequest
object as the problem is more general than that. However, there are all
kinds of security implications which make it a bit of a rat hole...