Re: Extension HTTP methods

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:31:43 +0200, Pete Kirkham <mach.elf@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have worked with XMLHttpRequest (and also the Java http libraries)
> and found it annoying that only a few of the WebDav and DeltaV methods
> are supported. Often I've had to hack it with a server script to
> tunnel the requests so that I end up with POST
> http://example.com/my-stuff?method=MKACTIVITY rather than MKACTIVITIY
> http://example.com/my-stuff so that I can use a repository from a
> browser based application.

Hi Pete,

This should work in Mozilla and Internet Explorer. I'm not sure if they
restrict any headers or if there are other security risks or challenges
involved. Personally, I don't see any big risks with this and I think we
will see support for this in both Opera and Safari. Allowing for custom
HTTP methods also makes sense in RESTfull architecture where the method
should represent the verb.

Cheers,

- Gorm Haug Eriksen