Re: ISSUE-58: XMLHttpRequest.abort() should just reset the object

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:09:56 +0100
To: "Web APIs WG \(public\)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

"Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>

> The problem is that many formats can't detect that they have been cut off.
> Even for something as strict as XML you could be loosing comments and PIs
> at the end of the document if the transation is terminated. The reason
> responseXML would be null in mozilla is that we'd get an internal
> error-notification from our network layer and would know not to even
> attempt parsing.

Ah, I see what you mean, if the failure was after partial content had
arrived!  Yes I agree this would be generally undetectable for a lot of
formats.

I don't think it's crucial to address this though, recovery from network
failure errors are pretty rare things to deal "EEK! there's been an error!"
is just about all you can do - even referencing an image or providing a link
is basically unsafe from a user perspective.

Cheers,

Jim.