Re: XHR: restrictions on request headers

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 00:23:47 +0100
To: "web APIs WG" <public-webapi@w3.org>

"Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>
> Jim Ley wrote:
>> "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>
>>> Though the usecase for Accept-Charset seems fairly weak. Why couldn't
>>> the author simply filter responseText?
>> How would an author do that?  Or do you mean the ASCII use case, and not
>> might accessibility tool use case?
> The only use case I've heard so far is the ability to request a pure-ascii
> response. Or I guess more generally requesting an encoding that only
> contains a specific subset of the unicode map. However I'm not sure what
> value this gives over simply looping over responseText and testing if all
> chars are in the desired subset.

As part of the W3's EARL work, it's likely I'll be resurrecting some tools
of mine which consume EARL reports about a site and present information to
the user about the problems, these tools either run in the browser as a
script extension, or by being installed on the site that's tested.  To be
able to show the error, I need to be able to repeat the request that was
tested, this means sending the same headers - so I need to be able to
achieve that.  Of course if the encoding is not supported then I cannot do
anything and expect it to fail, but in the majority situation lots of
encodings are supported so changing preferences will work.