Re: XHR: restrictions on request headers

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > But I would add one more. Authors are stupid. We shouldn't provide them with
> > features whose only possible use is for them to shoot themselves in the
> > foot. In other words, I would phrase the question not as "which headers
> > should we restrict", but "which headers should we allow", and only allow
> > those that have valid use cases.
>
> This sounds like what I suggested. But are there really any headers
> "whose only possible use is for them to shoot themselvs in the foot"?

Accept-Charset was the one that has been mentioned several times --
certainly unrestricting it (making it accept things that the UA won't know
how to handle) doesn't seem very useful, since the UA will be unable to
provide either a responseXML or responseText in that case.