Re: ISSUE-73: Are we going to support non-ECMAScript languages?

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:50:32 -0700
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, Web APIs WG <public-webapi@w3.org>

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2006, at 6:46 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Cameron McCormack wrote:
>>>
>>> Web APIs Issue Tracker:
>>>
>>> Ian Hickson:
>>>
>>> Why?
>>
>> Because every single code path adds a new set of bugs, with its own set
>> of Web pages that depend on it, with its own set of confused authors,
>> with time spent implementing it, fixing it, testing it, etc.
>>
>> We already have at least three ways of obtaining an XMLHttpRequest
>> object,
>> we don't need a fourth.
>
> On the other hand, for implementations that provide bindings to multiple
> languages, it is a burden to exclude a particular API from only one of
> them. (WebKit is such an implementation, we have an Objective-C mapping
> to the DOM for use as part of the embedding API).
>
> Here's a possibly too cute solution that would make things
> language-independent but add nothing new for JavaScript:
>
> interface WindowXMLHttpRequest {
>     XMLHttpRequest XMLHttpRequest();
> }

No, that would mean that people in javascript should write:

myXHR = XMLHttpRequest();

(note the lack of 'new').

For it to work you'd have to do something like:

interface WindowXMLHttpRequest {
   readonly attribute XMLHttpRequestCreatorFunction;
}

where XMLHttpRequestCreatorFunction is a function that when called
returns an XHR. Unfortunately I don't think that really maps well to Java.

/ Jonas