Re: ISSUE-72: should XMLHttpRequest be an EventTarget?

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 13:18:20 -0700
To: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Cc: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

>>>  2. Better for new implementations.
>>
>> I can agree to that.
>
> Well, it means new implementations have to implement more stuff, despite
> the fact that authors will be continuing to author to the old format.

The thing is, if authors stick to the syntax they currently use, then
that is compatible with an implementation that implements XHR as an
EventTarget and onreadystatechange as an EventListener.

It might even be easier for an implementation to make onreadystatechange
be an EventListener since it should already have the infrastructure for
that implemented. That is actually the case in mozilla where we're
switching to making XHR an EventTarget to clean up the code.

The problem that I see is if authors start expecting XHR to be an
EventTarget, because that will not work in most currently shipped
implementations.

/ Jonas