Re: ISSUE-66: should Documents that aren\'t being presented be required to have a null defaultView?

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 15:35:57 -0700
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Web APIs WG <public-webapi@w3.org>
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>

On Apr 5, 2006, at 5:39 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>> I am strongly in favour of 3. If we don't do 3, we're going to
>>> have to require a whole heck more than 1 -- we're going to have
>>> to special case every single API that requires a rendering context.
>> What happens when a document goes from "presented" to "non-
>> presented" or vice versa?
>> And note that even if we disallow such transitions doing what you
>> propose would require that all document creations know whether the
>> document is going to be presented.....  This could be a pretty
>> heavy burden in some cases.
> Actually, it already does happen in some cases. If you hold on to a
> document inside an iframe and then navigate away from the document
> the document goes from being presented to being non-presented.

Presumably, back/forward cache plus holding onto a document from
another window could result in the inverse transition. I discussed
this with Ian on IRC and he agreed (I think) that non-presented
documents should be allowed (perhaps even required) to implement
DocumentWindow in a Window UA, and that their attributes should be
appropriately neutered. So if we elimitate 3 and 2, that only leaves
1, require defaultView (and probably other attributes like location)
to be null for documents that implement DocumentWindow but are not

BTW the frame thing is a handy portable way to get a non-presented
document that implements DocumentWindow for testing purposes.