Re: ACTION-126: What is DOM3EV about...

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:39:56 +0200, Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com> wrote:
> "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
>> What we should make sure of is that the conformance on specifications
>> section clearly states what is allowed and what is not so that we don't
>> end up with 'mousemove' being incompatible in two different languages.
>> At the same time, we should ensure that specifications are not going
>> for a slightly different name just because they don't like that the
>> event doesn't bubble or whatever.
>
> So what do you propose specifications do if the DOM3 event event doesn't
> meet their needs?

I think that's a separate issue. We need some guidelines for
specifications on that. Personally I think everyone should be free to make
up new events as long as they put them in a namespace, though they are
encouraged to ask the Web APIs WG for review, and everyone who wants a new
event to be in the null namespace must ask for permission. We just need
some formal language to handle that. That language should deal with
existing not in a namespace events as well probably.