Re: Further update to Window Object 1.0, I think it's ready for first Working Draft

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2006, at 2:27 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>
>> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>> Can you think of a particular UI innovation, however crazy, that
>>> would benefit from a single browsing context presenting multiple
>>> documents from its sequence at once?
>>
>> I believe we do something similar in Thunderbird when you attach a one
>> or more HTML documents to a mail, we will display all the attachments
>> togther with the main mail in a single view.
>
> We do that in Mac OS X Mail too, but each attachment is effectively a
> subframe, and so gets its own Window object. Does Thunderbird give all
> the attachments a single Window object? (Does it even matter, since
> scripting is presumably off for all email?)

I do actually think that we stick multiple attachments in the same
window. However we might be doing that by merging the DOMs of the
attachments though, so there is probably only one Document per Window.

> When we speak of sequence here we mean the session history of that
> Window, in other words, would you want to display more than one document
> from the session history at once, fully scriptable and interactive, and
> using the same Window object? I don't think that can possibly work,
> because window.document can't work right in both of them.

Ah, then I'm following you. I do think we can assume that there is a
one-to-one relationship between documents and windows. Or rather, that
documents have at the most one window and windows have exactly one document.

I can think of features where you'd want to present multiple documents
in the same session history at once. For example a visual history
navigation feature might show you all the documents in your history at
once. However if these are to be interactive they would need to be given
separate windows and separate global objects.

/ Jonas