Re: Ajax Back/Forward History problem – saving document state by document.save()

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 05:39:21 +1100
To: Karl Pongratz <karlhp@karlhp.com>
CC: public-webapi@w3.org

Karl Pongratz wrote:
> One major thing that keeps me from using Ajax up to the limits is the
> web browser Back/Forward history problem; it looks like that many users
> just can't live without it. I am now wondering if this problem wouldn't
> be best solved by adding a new document method, something like
> document.save(pathname), which would save the active document state to
> the web browser cache (user agent cache).

See the WHATWG's work in this area.
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#pushstate

> The pathname argument would specify the changed portion of the URL, including any search string.

If the URI has changed, why would you need script to add it to the
history when that happens already?  It seems to me that this feature is
only useful for cases where script alters the page content but not the URI.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/