Re: New browser controls and an API for using them

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 03:11:42 -0000, Laurian Gridinoc <laurian@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The browser controls have precise semantics, independent of the viewed
> page author's intent -- and the user trust their actions, `back' is
> back etc... if you let the document assign the action of a control,
> the user will have to learn what does the `shopping cart' button do on
> every distinct site, because developers will try to overload it with
> different functions; in the end this may render such controls
> untrustable and unusable.

Well, you can also make the back-button quite unusable (many flash-based
sites do so already), and if the browser has weak caching, then when you
press the back-button, you may arrive to a completely new page. Also, you
can make a form with two buttons at the bottom: "submit" to clear the form,
and "reset" to send the data.

I don't know a single API, which can't be misused...

Anyway, this is a technology already in place, (with minor browser support)
and so we can benefit from it. But will the WebAPI really benefit from it?
I'm unsure...

Rene Saarsoo