Re: Digital signatures in the browser

Bruno,

We organized a workshop in 2014 to precisely address this.

https://www.w3.org/2012/webcrypto/webcrypto-next-workshop/report.html

While there was virtually unanimous support at the end of the workshop, the
status quo continues. There are several false perceptions on Smartcards in
the web community (such as it is old tech, forgetting the fact so is the
web and thart good tech evolves and smartcards have).

There are lots of APIs that are custom and vendor specific for a given
browser but none built-in and I have very little faith it will get built
in.

Our opinion on a non-branded implementation (outside FIDO) while unlikely
to be supported by the W3C community driven by the browser makers there
will be *soon an effective standards based (non custom API) workaround
irrespective of W3C supporting it.  *

Paper on why non-branded approach:
https://www.w3.org/2012/webcrypto/webcrypto-next-workshop/papers/webcrypto2014_submission_5.pdf

Happy to discuss further.