Re: [W3C Web Security IG] developers security check list

On 6 September 2016 at 15:41, GALINDO Virginie <Virginie.Galindo@gemalto.com
> wrote:

> Melvin,
> Cant Let's encrypt help on this matter ?

Galindo a couple of extra notes on this matter, that I think would benefit
the list readership.

This is imho an excellent article by Tim Berners-Lee

https://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Security-NotTheS.html

Notably:

Web Security - "HTTPS Everywhere" harmful
=================================

“The HTTPS is a safe space” has lead to the notion in bowser vendors that
it should be ring-fenced. The Same Origin Policy in this spirit suggests
that once a user enters the secure web by an https: link, then everything
which affects the session at all must come also over authenticated TLS.
This has led to a class of web apps being broken, in contrast with the
usual rule of back compatibility with old content. class=“ramble”> (The
last point is related to the common design failure that trust is as
single-valued scalar thing. It has been more any more clear that we and our
systems should not just trust things or not trust them, or even to trust
them on a scale form 0 to 1. We trust different people for different
things. We trust one person for recommendations on food, and another for
movies, and to muddle these trusts could be disastrous. Similarly we allow
different agents and services and code modules do access different things
for different purposes. Our computer systems must reflect and implement
that. A https: secure oil/water boundary does not do that. A symptom if
that you can never find the perfect place to put that boundary.)

Don’t break the web
===============

The concerns behind the need for security are valid. There is a lot of
abuse which it would prevent. The problem with HTTPS Everywhere drive is
when the “S” is put into the URI. The problem is of course that moving
things from http: space into https space, whether or not you keep the rest
of the URI the same, breaks any links to. Put simply, *the HTTPS Everywhere
campaign taken at face value completely breaks the web. In a way it is
arguably a greater threat to the integrity for the web than anything else
in its history*. The underlying speeds of connection of increased from
300bps to 300Gbps, IPv4 has being moved to IpV6, but none of this breaks
the web of links in so doing.