Re: HW Sec Workshop - Citizen Identity

On 2016-04-26 05:39, Colin Gallagher wrote:
> For those of us that were at the W3C Web Crypto Next Steps workshop (I was there),
 >  it may help to remind ourselves of what was actually arrived at or agreed to, or
 > determined to be high / medium / low priority at the time of that workshop.
 > There were notes taken, and also an executive summary <https://www.w3.org/2012/webcrypto/webcrypto-next-workshop/report.html>.
>
> I'm certainly curious of the status of the next steps rechartering at this
 > point in terms of process.  I have been observing some of the discussions related to this periodically.

Experienced Google standards editor Ian Hickson explains it pretty well:
http://manu.sporny.org/2016/browser-api-incubation-antipattern/#comment-29249

"Fundamentally, the people who write the code have all the power. That’s always been the case"

That is, it doesn't matter what You, I or, other even big W3C members like Gemalto want, unless it coincides with what the browser vendors headed by Google want as well.
The latter's desire seems to be to develop hardware security related standards in the less open FIDO alliance rather than in the W3C.

Anders