Re: HW Sec Workshop - Citizen Identity

On 22/04/16 01:08, Tony Arcieri wrote:
> I think you're correct: this scheme explicitly calls out PIV, and while
> some sort of PKCS#11 bridge sounds like a great idea to PIV card
> manufacturers, from my perspective (as someone sitting in the middle
> between the PIV card manufacturers and the browsers) I do not think
> browser vendors are interested in generally adopting a PKCS#11 bridge
> into browsers. I agree with not exposing PKCS#11 into the browser:
> authentication strategies for the web need to respect the Same-Origin
> Policy, and PKCS#11 does not.
>
> Without respecting SOP, users are asked to make decisions about the
> mapping of origins to their hardware tokens, and any time you introduce
> user choice into authentication you're making the user experience more
> hostile and weakening security.

It amazes me that for some reason many people seem to equate "eID" (like
PIV) and "PKCS#11".

Browser vendors don't want it (for a good reason) and nobody sane enough
is proposing to include something as generic and low level
implementation specific as PKCS#11 *into the browser*. This has been
discussed over and over again.