Re: A Somewhat Critical View of SOP (Same Origin Policy)

On 26 September 2015 at 12:33, Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 September 2015 19:01:17 Brad Hill wrote:
> > But here we are, in 2015, and Identity is still the White Whale of the
> Web.
>
> This in itself is shows a really fundamental difference in the
> understanding
> of identity, its social functions and the expectations attached to it.

Having followed identity for 10 years, since Brad Fitzpatrick's pivotal
work on OpenID, I would say it has been very hard to make any progress at
all.  What has been described as "schoolboy politics" seems to hinder
progress in the consensus process.  Typically this consists of a world view
that cannot contemplate an inclusive approach and will actively work to
censor that conversation.  I have noticed that every time this topic has
made progress, someone will jump in and try and shut it down.  Most
recently this occurred in the social web WG but it has been consistent over
about a dozen efforts inside and outside the W3C.

The technicals are much easier than the politics, provides that there is a
willingness to follow existing web standards.  It simply boils down to
using URIs to name things.  Something we all agree in principle, but never
do in practice.  It still is the white whale of the web, I really hope it's
possible make more progress in the next 5 years than we have in the last.
The way to do that is to allow the conversation to happen and be tolerant
of other people's ideas.