Re: A Somewhat Critical View of SOP (Same Origin Policy)

On Friday 25 September 2015 13:31:14 Alex Russell wrote:
> If by "dead silence" you mean "constructive proposals to bridge the gap"
> [1], then yes, you're correct,
>
> [1] https://discourse.wicg.io/t/rfc-proposal-for-new-web-payments-api/1100

Too many indirections for my taste. You create a list of payment services the
user is redirected to. But once you get there, you still can't communicate.
Today we have payment systems via indirection and forms and redirect. As far
as I'm concerned the problem is not that I don't know what payment system to
use, but rather the way I exchange credentials. I have a credit card with a
chip and I'm pushed back to a dumb credit card number with a legal liability
scheme or an SMS two factor authentication at best.

We can summarize that:

1/ There is a gap in the communication from the Web to certain other worlds
(payment, eGov, eHealth, intelligent transport to name a few)

2/ There is currently nothing bridging that gap.

Such an outcome would already be a big step forward IMHO and the discussion
would have been worthwhile (except for some tone-accidents)

 --Rigo