State of the WebCrypto API

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 16:18:08 +0200
To: "public-web-security@w3.org" <public-web-security@w3.org>
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn904640(v=vs.85).aspx

So apparently Internet Explorer which is the only Microsoft-browser available for Windows 7-8.X still doesn't support the published WebCrypto API.

The only reasonable conclusion is that WebCrypto is not the "final solution" to client-side crypto for the Web.

A more practical approach had been to reuse the already deployed native crypto support which also had put an end to the discussions around secure key-storage.

Will the announced Hardware Security WG do better?  I (FWIW) wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Anders